eggs considered harmful

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Jun 21 19:27:09 EDT 2007

Harry George <harry.g.george at boeing.com> writes:
[...]
> These are unacceptable behaviors.  I am therefore dropping ZODB3, and
> am considering dropping TurboGears and ZSI.  If the egg paradigm
> spreads, yet more packages will be dropped (or will never get a chance
> to compete for addition).
>
> I've asked before, and I'll ask again: If you are doing a Python
> project, please make a self-sufficient tarball available as well.  You
> can have dependencies, as long as they are documented and can be
> obtained by separate manual download.

1. Given the presumptuous tone of your own message, I guess I'm not in
danger of coming across as more rude than you when I point out that
your requirements are just that: your own.  The rest of the world
won't *always* bend over backwards to support just exactly what you'd
most prefer.

2. You can run your own private egg repository.  IIRC, it's as simple
as a directory of eggs and a plain old web server with directory
listings turned on.  You then run easy_install -f URL package_name
instead of easy_install package_name .  The distutils-sig archives
will have more on this.

3. Alternatively, you could create bundled packages that include
dependencies (perhaps zc.buildout can do that for you, even? not sure)

John