Python, Dutch, English, Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 00:28:16 EDT 2007

--- Ross Ridge <rridge at caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:
> >Asia:
> >
> >   Python should be *completely* internationalized
> for
> >Mandarin, Japanese, and possibly Hindi and Korean.
> >Not just identifiers.  I'm talking the entire
> >language, keywords and all.
>

> btw. Mandarin is a spoken dialect Chinese, what
> you're actually asking
> for is a Simplified-Chinese version of Python.

I'm just trying to divide-and-conquer the problem of
promoting Python literacy in the world.   To the
extent that you have a billion people in the world who
all speak/write a mostly common language, I wonder if
you wouldn't try to go even further than PEP 3131 and
truly translate Python to Chinese, whatever that
means.

I'm wondering if all the English keywords in Python
would present too high a barrier for most Chinese
people--def, if, while, for, sys, os, etc.  So you
might need to go even further than simply allowing
identifiers to be written in Simplified-Chinese.