Python's "only one way to do it" philosophy isn't good?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jun 21 19:33:35 EDT 2007

"Douglas Alan" <doug at alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:lcfy4ljej2.fsf at gaffa.mit.edu...
| Steven D'Aprano <steven at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> writes:
|
| > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:23:42 -0400, Douglas Alan wrote:
|
| >> Macros are a way to abstract syntax the way that objects are used to
| >> abstract data types and that iterators and generators abstract
control,
| >> etc.
|
| > But why is the ability to abstract syntax good?
|
| It allows the community to develop language features in a modular way
| without having to sully the code base for the language itself.
[etc]

Some of the strongest opposition to adding macros to Python comes from
people like Alex Martelli who have had experience with them in
*multi-person production* projects.  He claimed in various posts that the
net effect was to reduce productivity.  So convince us (and Guido!) that he
is wrong  ;-)

But I would prefer you somehow try to help make usable multi-arg and
predicate dispatch a reality.

tjr