The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 23:24:55 EDT 2007

Hi folks!

Dont want to spoil the fun of a real flame war here but what I want to
ask is directly relevant to emacs in python [And the answers may even
add some light to the current heat :-)  ]

I will be training a bunch of kids for using python in a data-center
linux-sysadmin context.

I intend to use emacs [apologies twisted  -- cant change my
anti-rodent preferences after 20 years ] but not clear what are the
best setups.

My questions are

1. Which python mode should one use?  It seems there is one from
python and one from emacs and both are deliberately named so as to be
confusable!! I would like one that gives...

2. Good support for debugging: I hear pdbtrack is better than pdb --
but I am not able to figure how to use it.

3. Is it possible to get brief help on methods/functions using
mouse-hovering/F1 rather than having to go out to pydoc etc

4. Also maybe a (minor?) mode to convert selections of interpreter
text into doctests?

5. The menu contains something called IM-python but that contains
nothing except *rescan*

6. Turning off semantic. semantic (is that the same as fly-make??)
seems to randomly get into 99% CPU usage.  How to turn it off?