Convert String to Int and Arithmetic

James T. Dennis jadestar at idiom.com
Tue Jun 12 20:56:51 EDT 2007

tereglow <tereglow at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,

> I am a complete newbie to Python and am accustomed to coding in PHP/
> Perl/Shell.  I am trying to do the following:

> I have a string:

> cpuSpeed = 'Speed: 1000000000'

> What I would like to do is extract the '1000000000' from the string,
> and divide that by 1000 twice to get the speed of a processor in MHz.

> My understanding is that I need to 'import re' and then use re.split
> to get the first part done.  The second part confuses me because I'm
> unable to convert the '1000000000' to an integer to run division
> against it.

> Basically, I want to come out with 1000 for the above string.  Any
> help would be appreciated.
> Tom

 The most obvious approach, rather hard-coded to the example,
 would be:

            cpuMhz = float(cpuSpeed[6:]) / 10 ** 6

 ... take a "slice" of the string, cpuSpeed, from character
 seven (zero-based) to the end of the string (cpuSpeed[6:]) and
 try to convert it into a floating point number (with the float()
 function) and then divide that by the one million

--
Jim Dennis,
Starshine: Signed, Sealed, Delivered