PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Jun 22 13:39:47 EDT 2007

On 22 Jun, 12:41, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s... at benfinney.id.au>
wrote:

> I think it's great that we're going to get Python 3.0 soon, and that
> Python 4.0 proposals will benefit from a long period of familiarity
> with widely-deployed PyPy :-)

I'm not going to name and shame anyone, but here's part of a genuine
docstring from a program I downloaded not so long ago:

  It was tested for python 4.0.  It certainly doesn't work for python
  versions earlier than 3.3.

If I need to speculate about future Python versions, I know who to
ask. ;-)

Paul

P.S. I agree with the sentiment that the annotations feature of Python
3000 seems like a lot of baggage. Aside from some benefits around
writing C/C++/Java wrappers, it's the lowest common denominator type
annotation dialect that dare not be known as such, resulting from a
lack of consensus about what such a dialect should really do, haunted
by a justified fear of restrictive side-effects imposed by a more
ambitious dialect (eg. stuff you get in functional languages) on
dynamically-typed code. I don't think the language should be modified
in ways that only provide partial, speculative answers to certain
problems when there's plenty of related activity going on elsewhere
that's likely to provide more complete, proven answers to those
problems.