Excel file interface for Python 2.3?

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 09:38:04 EDT 2007

On Jun 12, 8:01 am, "Hamilton, William " <wham... at entergy.com> wrote:
> I'm in need of a module that will let me create Excel workbooks from within
> Python.  Something like PyExcelerator, but it needs to work with Python 2.3.
> (A third-party limitation that I have no control over.)  Can anyone point me
> to what I need?  All my searches keep leading back to PyExcelerator.
>
> --
> -Bill Hamilton

You can also use COM if you're on Windows, via PyWin32. Hammond's book
talks about it a little here: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonwin32/chapter/ch12.html

I also saw some information about this in Core Python Programming by
Chun.

Example code follows:

<code>

import win32com.client as win32
def excel():
    app = 'Excel'
    xl = win32.gencache.EnsureDispatch('%s.Application' % app)
    ss = xl.Workbooks.Add()
    sh = ss.ActiveSheet
    xl.Visible = True
    sleep(1)

    sh.Cells(1,1).Value = 'Python-to-%s Demo' % app
    sleep(1)
    for i in RANGE:
        sh.Cells(i,1).Value = 'Line %d' % i
        sleep(1)
    sh.Cells(i+2,1).Value = "Th-th-th-that's all folks!"

    ss.Close(False)
    xl.Application.Quit()

</code>

Admittedly, COM is kind of confusing. But it's there if you need it.

Mike