The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

blmblm at myrealbox.com blmblm at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 27 15:24:38 EDT 2007

In article <87r6nzc9nu.fsf at mail.eng.it>,
Gian Uberto Lauri  <saint at spammer.impiccati.it> wrote:

> >> ENTER > THEM, GIVEN THAT THEY HAVE TO DO SO TO REACH THE HELP THAT
> >> WOULD TELL > THEM THOSE ARE THE KEYS TO REACH THE HELP?!
> >>
> >> What's your problem ?
> >>
> >> Ofcourse a mere program-consumer would not look what was being
> >> installed on his/her system in the first place ...  So after some
> >> trivial perusing what was installed and where : WOW Look, MA !
> >> .... it's all there!
> >>
> >> lpr /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3/etc/refcard.ps or your
> >> install-dir........^ ^ or your
> >> version.............................^
>
> n> So now we're expected to go on a filesystem fishing expedition
> n> instead of just hit F1? One small step (backwards) for a man; one
> n> giant leap (backwards) for mankind. :P
>
> Waring, possible ID TEN T detected!
>
> There's a program called find, not this intuitive but worth learning
>
> It could solve the problem from the root with something like
>
> find / -name refcard.ps -exec lpr {} \; 2> /dev/null

Let's not make this any worse than it has to be ....

If I wanted to find files that might have documentation on emacs,
I wouldn't look for filename refcard.ps; I'd try either

locate emacs

(Linux only AFAIK, won't find recently-added files because it
searches against a database usually rebuilt once a day)

or

find / -name "*emacs*"

You are so right that "find" is worth learning, but I'm not sure
it's a tool I'd have mentioned in this particular discussion,
because it *does* take a bit of learning.  I wasn't surprised at
all that you got the reply you did.  :-)?

And as you mention downthread, any time you use "find" to execute
a command that might be costly (in terms of paper and ink in this
case), it's smart to first do a dry run to be sure the files it's
going to operate on are the ones you meant.

Whether "find" is better or worse than the GUI-based thing Windows
provides for searching for files ....  I guess this is really
not the time or place to rant about the puppy, is it?  (Yes,
I know you can make the animated character go away, something I
discovered just in time to avoid -- well, I'm not sure, but it
wouldn't have been good.)

[ snip ]

--
B. L. Massingill
ObDisclaimer:  I don't speak for my employers; they return the favor.