The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Bjorn Borud borud-news at borud.no
Tue Jun 26 11:02:02 EDT 2007

[Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com>]
| On Jun 23, 2:04 am, Robert Uhl <eadmun... at NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
| > Of course, emacs doesn't take years of mastery.  It takes 30, 40
| > minutes.
|
| I gave it twice that, and it failed to grow on me in that amount of
| time.

then it just wasn't meant to be.  stick to Notepad.

| If I haven't, it must be the case that finding this tutorial (or even
| discovering that it exists) was nontrivial, or it wasn't built into
| emacs, one or the other.

when Emacs on my machine starts it says the following:

  Welcome to GNU Emacs, one component of a Linux-based GNU system.

  Get help           C-h  (Hold down CTRL and press h)
  Undo changes       C-x u       Exit Emacs               C-x C-c
  Get a tutorial     C-h t       Use Info to read docs    C-h i
  Ordering manuals   C-h RET
  Activate menubar   F10  or  ESC `  or   M-`
  (`C-' means use the CTRL key.  `M-' means use the Meta (or Alt) key.
  If you have no Meta key, you may instead type ESC followed by the
  character.)

if you haven't found the tutorial, you haven't really tried very hard.

-Bjørn