problem mixing gettext and properties

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Jun 26 16:55:08 EDT 2007

André wrote:

> On Jun 26, 4:17 pm, André <andre.robe... at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > _ = fr.gettext # untested

>> > The _ builtin is set to the result of the last expression evaluated by
>> > the interpreter:

>> > ...     i
>> > 0
>> > 1
>> > 2>>> _
>> > 2
>>
>> > 2
>>
>> > Therefore you get a name clash with _() as an alias for gettext(). Use
>> > module-global aliases instead, e. g.
>>
>> > _ = fr.gettext
>>
>> > in the above code.
>>
>> > Peter
>>
>> Thanks, that works ... but,
> [snip...]
> One more question (back to the original) post.
> Why does
> i18n_test.help
> does the right thing
> but
> i18n_test.test.help_prop
> does not?   Both use _() ...
>
> Is it because help = _(...) is defined at the module level but
> test.help_prop is defined locally, and that the lookup for _() is done
> first locally (finds nothing) and then globally (outside the module
> scope) ?

No, it has nothing to do with the scope. It is just that (assuming a
single-threaded environment)

help = _("Help me!")

is evaluated once immediately after the install() call which sets
__builtin__._ to gettext().

i18n_test.test.help_prop on the other hand invokes __builtin__._() every
time, and because you implicitly set it to a string with

>>> i18n_test.help

you saw the exception.

Peter