Python plain-text database or library that supports joins?

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Tue Jun 26 16:00:56 EDT 2007

On Friday 22 June 2007 09:18, felciano wrote:

> Hello --
>
> Is there a convention, library or Pythonic idiom for performing
> lightweight relational operations on flatfiles? I frequently find
> myself writing code to do simple SQL-like operations between flat
> files, such as appending columns from one file to another, linked
> through a common id. For example, take a list of addresses and append
> a 'district' field by looking up a congressional district from a
> second file that maps zip codes to districts.

Two pointers, but maybe not a complete solution:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-Sprite/
Perl library that uses CSV files and supports simple joins.  Maybe a port of
this?

http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/~annis/creations/pseudb.html
Functional interface for CSV files inspired by Sprite, but does not support
joins.  Possibly could be extended?

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com