Python's "only one way to do it" philosophy isn't good?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Sat Jun 9 06:53:54 EDT 2007

Gabriel Genellina wrote:

> For what I can
> remember of my first love (Physics): if you have a small ball
> moving inside a spherical cup, it would be almost crazy to use
> cartesian orthogonal coordinates and Newton's laws to solve it -
> the "obvious" way would be to use spherical coordinates and the
> Lagrangian formulation (or at least I hope so

Yep, that's right.

> - surely knowledgeable people will find more "obviously" which is
> the right way).

No, this case is IMHO almost classical. Movement with planar
constraints can be solved quite easy using Lagrange.

> All classical mechanics formulations may be equivalent, but
> in certain cases one is much more suited that the others.

Or: Lagrange is the only obvious way to describe movement with
constraints.

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #80:

That's a great computer you have there; have you considered how it
would work as a BSD machine?