subexpressions (OT: math)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jun 3 21:22:54 EDT 2007

Gary Herron wrote:

> No, not end-of-story.  Neither of us are being precise enough here.  To
> quote from your second link:
>     "Although the radian is a unit of measure, it is a dimensionless
> quantity."
>
> But NOTE: Radians and degrees *are* units of measure., however those
> units are dimensionless quantities , i.e., not a length or a time etc.

They're both "unit of measure" in some general sense, I suppose, but
only one is dimensionless.  pi/2 rad = pi/2.  90 deg != 90.  Of the
plane angles, only radians are dimensionless, and of the solid angles,
only steradians are dimensionless.  This is because they're defined as
the ratio of two quantities with similar dimensions (length for radians
and area for steradians).

> The arguments to sine and cosine must have an associated unit so you
> know whether to interpret sin(1.2) as sine of an angle measured in
> degrees or radians (or whatever else).

The problem with this reasoning is when angular-dimensioned quantities
pop out of trigonometric functions, which happens routinely in the world
of calculus.  When that happens, you use radians (or steradians) or
you're screwed.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   There never was a good war or a bad peace.
    -- Benjamin Franklin