“On Your Desktop”: the celebrity posting editorial blog

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 7 06:09:42 EDT 2007

Steve Holden wrote:
> The first post comes from Ian Bicking:
>
> http://onyourdesktop.blogspot.com/

"Linux was a remote possibility: just why is it so bad as a laptop OS?"

I'm a diehard os x man myself, but I spent about 1.5 days setting up
ubuntu feisty on an Acer Travel Mate TM2480-2779 ($459 after rebate from
newegg). Set up wireless (got WEP going but WPA was beyond my patience),
full resolution from the monitor, and the soundcard going 100%. None of
this was straightforward but it was all plenty doable with sufficient
diligence. You will have to compile a kernel module or 2. It makes for a
nice little linux box once you get everything configured. The acer
hardware is pretty respectable, especially for the price. I'm not quite
ready to trade in my 15" Core2Duo MBP, though, as there is no substitute
for tasty apple hardware.