Beginning Python

Michael Bentley michael at jedimindworks.com
Tue Jun 5 12:00:21 EDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 9:29 AM, abhiee wrote:

> Hello , I have just begun learning python...and I'm loving it...Just
> wanted to ask you that how much time would it take me to learn python
> completely and which languages should i learn alongwith python to be a
> good professional programmer?...Now i only know C....
> thanx in advance!

How long is a piece of rope?

Seriously, there is no way for anyone to predict how long it will
take you to learn something.  In this case, that something (Python)
is a moving target -- there are a few things I use daily that weren't
even part of the language when I started.

I do believe that it takes about three years to get reasonably
competent at anything.  And about ten years to get really good at it.
And probably another ten years to be a master (I'm only guessing
though -- because I haven't been doing anything for twenty years
yet).  Of course, by my metrics I guess even Guido wouldn't be a
master at Python so perhaps I'm full of crap :-)

Hope this helps,
Michael

---
"I use tuples simply because of their mellifluous appellation." --
Neil Cerutti