python-ldap for Python 2.5 on Windows?

Waldemar Osuch waldemar.osuch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 21:45:46 EDT 2007

On Jun 11, 6:42 am, Benedict Verheyen <benedict.verhe... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thorsten Kampe schreef:
> <snip>
>
> >> I'm on Vista (boohoo :(), what's your platform?
>
> > XP SP2
>
> Hmmm it thought so.
> So in my case it would be interesting to know how to build it so i can
> make a build that works on Vista too.

I have also build it on XP SP2.

I have wrapped the files from "setup.py build" and all required .dll
using Inno Setup.
Maybe Vista does not like the executable produced by Inno.

If you still want to try then unzip the following:
http://www.osuch.org/python-ldap.zip
into your "site-packages" and see how far you can get.

The detailed instructions on how to build would be quite long and I'm
sure I have forgotten some of the steps already but if you know about
"./configure make make install" dance and know how to use Google you
should be OK.

1. First install MinGW, Msys and msysDTK.
2. Then you need to compile openldap.  See:
   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomemeeting-devel-list/2005-September/msg00019.html
   for reference.  You will need regex but you can skip Berkley DB
before you start.
3. I have compiled openssl too but I have seen ready made libraries
for download.
   I do not have link handy at the moment.
4. The last step would be to run "setup.py build" for python-ldap.
Remove sasl2 from setup.cfg
   since cyrus-sasl does not seem to be available for MinGW.

See how far you can get with the above instructions.  If you get stuck
send me a private email and I will try to help you.
If you could keep track of the steps and came up with better
instructions than my pitiful attempt above that would be great.

Waldemar