class attributes & data attributes

james_027 cai.haibin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:43:39 EDT 2007

hi everyone,

I am now in chapter 5 of Dive Into Python and I have some question
about it. From what I understand in the book is you define class
attributes & data attributes like this in python

class Book:

    total # is a class attribute

    def __init__(self):
        self.title  # is a data attributes
        self.author # another data attributes

To define class attributes is like defining a function in class, to
define a data attributes is defining a variable inside the __init__
method.

what makes me confuse is this model from Django

from django.db import models

class Person(models.Model):
    first_name = models.CharField(maxlength=30)
    last_name = models.CharField(maxlength=30)

I believe the first_name and last_name are data attributes? but why it
is they look like a class attributes as being define.

Thanks in advance for explaining

james