Python and (n)curses

Josiah Carlson josiah.carlson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 18 20:17:41 EDT 2007

pinkfloydhomer at gmail.com wrote:
> I need to develop a cross-platform text-mode application. I would like
> to do it in Python and I would like to use a mature text-mode library
> for the UI stuff.
>
> The obvious choice, I thought, was ncurses. But as far as I can tell,
> it is not available for Python on Windows?
>
> Is there a workaround? Or are there alternative libraries that might
> be used instead of (n)curses? I know I can use (n)curses on *nix and
> console on Windows etc., but that is of course suboptimal.

This link offers a series of links for console IO...
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-January/303984.html

Among them is a link to the 'wcurses' module that has been relocated
here: http://adamv.com/dev/python/curses/  It doesn't actually work in
the console, but it seems as though you can program towards one API.

There is always cygwin + Python + ncurses.

  - Josiah