Python's "only one way to do it" philosophy isn't good?

WaterWalk toolmaster at 163.com
Sat Jun 9 01:49:03 EDT 2007

I've just read an article "Building Robust System" by Gerald Jay
Sussman. The article is here:
http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/classes/symbolic/spring07/readings/robust-systems.pdf

In it there is a footprint which says:
"Indeed, one often hears arguments against building exibility into an
engineered sys-
tem. For example, in the philosophy of the computer language Python it
is claimed:
\There should be one|and preferably only one|obvious way to do
it."[25] Science does
not usually proceed this way: In classical mechanics, for example, one
can construct equa-
tions of motion using Newtonian vectoral mechanics, or using a
Lagrangian or Hamiltonian
variational formulation.[30] In the cases where all three approaches
are applicable they are
equivalent, but each has its advantages in particular contexts."

I'm not sure how reasonable this statement is and personally I like
Python's simplicity, power and elegance. So I put it here and hope to
see some inspiring comments.