How to save initial configuration? (program installation)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jun 25 11:37:31 EDT 2007

Jason Zapman II wrote:
> On Jun 25, 11:10 am, kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:
>> I would think you could pop-up some dialog when the program is first
>> run to ask where they want the file to be. On the first run though,
>> you can just have the config file located in the current working
>> directory with the script file itself. Then just move it or save a new
>> copy to the new location and delete the original.
>
> The 'pop-up' is easy.  The problem is how does the program know where
> it's state file is the SECOND time it is run?  I can't stash it in the
> state file, since the program won't know where it is if it's not in
> the CWD... (unless I'm missing something obvious).

The traditional choices are the registry for Windows, and the /etc
subtree for the various, almost uncountable, flavors of Unix and
nixalikes. You're right, it's much more difficult per-system than
per-user, since there are so many conventions.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119