Python and (n)curses

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Wed Jun 20 13:08:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:51:09 -0700, peter <peter.mosley at talk21.com> wrote:

>> > For me, introducing similar commands in Python would be by far  the biggest single improvement that could be made to the language.
>
>> If it should be done, it should be done as a compatible subset of
>> curses, IMHO. It has such a long history as the standard "GUI toolkit"
>
> But curses doesn't run under Windows - thats the whole point!

I meant to say "as a compatible subset of the Python 'curses' module
API".

I don't know what's so difficult about porting curses. Maybe it's that
the DOS console is too broken, or maybe too many Unixisms are exposed by
the API (can you get a signal when the DOS console window is resized?).

(Alex Martelli simply wrote something like this in his Python book:
"I hear about curses ports to Windows now and then, but I've never
seen one that worked". Something like that.)

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!