Python rocks

Mark Carter me at privacy.net
Sat Jun 2 16:59:57 EDT 2007

Josiah Carlson wrote:
> Mark Carter wrote:
>> Not that I'm particularly knowledgeable about language design issues,
>> but maybe closures and slightly different scoping rules would be nice.
>
> Python has had closures for years.

I just looked up
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/Python/lambda_functions.hawk
and was amazed to discover that you were right. Nice one.

>  What kind of scoping did you desire?

Well, I had in mind so that if you defined a function, but wanted to
access a global var, that you didn't have to use the global keyword. Not
much of a biggie, I guess.

> Refuse the temptation to guess.  As many people want to keep the
> newlines as not (it disambiguates the case of end of file and blank
> line), and it is a simple thing to deal with: line.rstrip('\r\n') .

I guess that about wraps it up, then. Python pretty much has it all.
Except for macros - which is not necessarily a dealbreaker, anyway.