The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

notbob notbob at nothome.com
Thu Jun 21 16:49:51 EDT 2007

On 2007-06-21, Kaldrenon <kaldrenon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Feel free to disagree with what I'm about to say.
[...]
> And if you disagree with me, or if you think I expressed my point
> poorly....

I think you expressed it well.  I'll add that using one does not
necessarilly exclude using the other.  I tend to use whatever makes
the job easiest FOR ME! ...be it a gui or the command line.  Also,
ease of learning emacs has absolutely zero to do with mental prowess
and not everyone using it is a code whiz.  Except for some html and
shell scripting, I do almost zero developement because it bores me to
freakin' tears.  That's not to say I can't like the command line and
emacs.

All types of user interface have their pros and cons and it's
senseless to limit one's self to one or the other.  Some tasks benefit
from using both simultaneously, acad and gimp/p-shop being prime
examples.  Sure, everyone loves the camaraderie of belonging to a
group.  That's just being human.  But, choosing a preference doesn't
require fanatical loyalty to the exclusion of all other options, or at
least it shouldn't.  Use the one that's best for the job.

nb