SimplePrograms challenge

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 08:02:51 EDT 2007

--- Pete Forman <pete.forman at westerngeco.com> wrote:

> André <andre.roberge at gmail.com> writes:
>
>  > Ok, doctest-based version of the Unit test
> example added; so much
>  > more Pythonic ;-)
>
> Sorry for being a bit picky but there are a number
> of things that I'm
> unhappy with in that example.

Your pickiness is appreciated. :)

> 1) It's the second example with 13 lines.  Though I
> suppose that the
>    pragmatism of pairing the examples overriding an
> implicit goal of
>    the page is itself Pythonic.

Since you looked at the page, I have corrected that by
making the example above it 12 lines, so that's no
longer an issue.

> 2) assert is not the simplest example of doctest.
> The style should be
>
>     >>> add_money([0.13, 0.02])
>     0.15
>     >>> add_money([100.01, 99.99])
>     200.0
>     >>> add_money([0, -13.00, 13.00])
>     0.0

That's not clear cut to me.  I think vertical
conciseness has an advantage for readability, as it
means you get to keep more "real" code on the screen.

> 3) which fails :-(  So both the unittest and doctest
> examples ought to
>    be redone to emphasize what they are doing
> without getting bogged
>    down by issues of floating point representations.

I was the one who originally posted the floating point
example (with yet another style of unit testing, BTW),
and I agree that the subtleties of floating point do
kind of cloud the issue.  I welcome a better example.
What I didn't realize is that there's an actual error.
 Are you saying the program fails?  On which test?