The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Twisted twisted0n3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:49:52 EDT 2007

On Jun 20, 4:35 pm, David Kastrup <d... at gnu.org> wrote:
> Twisted <twisted... at gmail.com> writes:
> > On the other hand, being actively beginner-hostile leads to nobody
> > adopting the tool. Then again, if you don't mind being the last
> > generation that'll ever use it, then I guess you're okay with
> > that. If it suits its existing users, the rest of us will just
> > continue to use something else.
>
> > I continue to suspect that there's an ulterior motive for making and
> > keeping certain software actively beginner-hostile; a certain macho
> > elitism also seen with light aircraft pilots and commented on at
> >www.asktog.com(exact URL escapes me; sorry).
>
> You are babbling.

No, I am not. You, however, are being gratuitously insulting.

> Emacs is amazingly beginner-friendly for the power and flexibility it
> provides. [snip]

That's a joke, right? I tried it a time or two. Every time it was
rapidly apparent that doing anything non-trivial would require
consulting a cheat sheet. The printed-out kind, since navigating to
the help and back without already having the help displayed and open
to the command reference was also non-trivial.

Four hours of wasted time later, with zero productivity to show for
it, I deleted it. The same thing happened again, so it wasn't a bad
day or a fluke or a one-off or the particular version, either.