another thread on Python threading

cgwalters at gmail.com cgwalters at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 10:19:14 EDT 2007

On Jun 3, 9:10 pm, Josiah Carlson <josiah.carl... at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> If you are doing string searching, implement the algorithm in C, and
> call out to the C (remembering to release the GIL).

I considered that, but...ick!  The whole reason I'm writing this
program
in Python in the first place is so I don't have to deal with the mess
that is involved when you do string matching and data structure
traversal
in C.

On the other hand, there are likely C libraries out there for
searching the
kinds of data structures I use; I'll investigate.

> > There's a lot of past discussion on this, and I want to bring it up
> > again because with the work on Python 3000, I think it is worth trying
> > to take a look at what can be done to address portions of the problem
> > through language changes.
>
> Not going to happen.  All Python 3000 PEPs had a due-date at least a
> month ago (possibly even 2), so you are too late to get *any*
> substantial change in.

=(  Too bad.  It might be possible to do these changes in a backwards
compatible way,
though less elegantly.  For example, the object change could be
denoted by inheriting from "fixedobject"
or something.