The Modernization of Emacs

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Sat Jun 23 02:11:55 EDT 2007

Bjorn Borud <borud-news at borud.no> writes:

> | The idea is to start Emacs once and use it for everything.
>
> ...which is fine as long as you are only fiddling around on one
> machine or you have emacs windows running on all your machines.

Tramp can be used to access files on other hosts.  It even supports
multi-hop stuff like 'ssh to $HOST and su to root.'

One thing GNU emacs needs to support is the ability to open a new X or
terminal window via a command.  I think Xemacs can already do this.

> also, I make extensive use of the readline and history features when
> fiddling about in the shell.  shells have a lot of context if you use
> them effectively.  context that isn't easy to transport between the
> shell and emacs -- and it isn't really easy to explain either.

M-x shell, or M-x terminal

That's just 'mostly dead.'  What we are concerned with here is 'Pining
for the Fjords' dead.                                     --Mark Urbin