Interpreting os.lstat()

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Jul 20 08:53:10 EDT 2007

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> (a) Running 'stat' is *not the same* as a system call.
>Why do you say that? It is *exactly* the same [ ... ]

Maybe if stat were implemented as

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    struct stat so_what_am_I_supposed_to_do_with_this;
    return stat(argv[1], &so_what_am_I_supposed_to_do_with_this);
}

But it obviously does a lot of other stuff, including formatting
the results of the system call for display. Since what it really
at issue here is presentation of the results, I'd say that the
stat system call and the stat program wrapping it are very
different things.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
        -- Arthur C. Clarke