Why no maintained wrapper to Win32?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Tue Jul 31 08:53:18 EDT 2007

Gilles Ganault a écrit :
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:49:04 -0700, sturlamolden
> <sturlamolden at yahoo.no> wrote:
>> Why inflict suffering on yourself with MFC when you can use wxPython
>> or PyGTK?
>
> Because I'd like to avoid having to pack several MB + having to
> install the toolkit. Considering the size of the typical Python
> script, it seemed overkill.
>
>> Sure, you could use ctypes to make calls into user32.dll, gdi32.dll
>> and kernel32.dll. Then you can program Python GUIs using the plain
>> Win32 API, avoiding PyWin32's MFC or wxPython. But who would do such a
>> thing?
>
> So the PyWin32 interface doesn't make it easier to program Win32 GUI
> apps?

Did you ever tried writing a Win32 GUI app in C ?-)

But you should re-read the above more carefully. What I do understand
from it is that PyWin32 adds support for the MFC toolkit (nb: didn't
check myself since I'm not concerned...).

> It's just C that looks like Python?
>
> Guess I have the answer as to no one seems to write GUI apps for
> Windows natively :-)

Fact is that either the app is a small, casual tool, and then Tkinter is
quite enough, or it's a real, fullblown app and then better to use a
decent (and, if possible, crossplatform) toolkit - like, you know,
wxWidgets !-)