Tool for finding external dependencies

Rob Cakebread gentoodev at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:39:31 EDT 2007

On Jul 9, 9:23 am, Alex Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailingl... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Isn't it possible to get from modulefinder what it has found and just
> filter it out according to your rules?
> This way you are in control and can deicde what is internal/external.

At first glance it looked easy enough, by just filtering out
everything that isn't in site-packages, but that isn't quite accurate
as accurate as pylint and it also shows indirect dependencies too.
e.g. pkga imports pkgb, which imports pkgc. I don't want pkgc.

To clarify, if I had a module with:

import os,sys, re
import sqlobject

I only want to know about sqlobject. I don't want any of sqlobject's
dependencies, such as MySQLdb, pysqlite2, psycopg2 etc. which
modulefinder shows also.

And as far as I can tell, modulefinder needs a Python script, but its
much easier for me to find a package's modules automatically.

Thanks,
Rob