object references/memory access

Karthik Gurusamy kar1107 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 22:13:15 EDT 2007

On Jul 2, 6:32 pm, Steve Holden <s... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Karthik Gurusamy wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> But when both processes are in the memory of the same machine and they
> >> communicate through an in-memory buffer, what's to stop them from
> >> keeping the CPU fully-loaded (assuming they are themselves compute-bound)?
>
> > If you are a producer and if your output goes thru' a pipe, when the
> > pipe gets full, you can no longer run. Someone must start draining the
> > pipe.
> > On a single core CPU when only one process can be running, the
> > producer must get off the CPU so that the consumer may start the
> > draining process.
>
> Wrong. The process doesn't "get off" the CPU, it remains loaded, and
> will become runnable again once the buffer has been depleted by the
> other process (which is also already loaded into memory and will become
> runnable as soon as a filled buffer becomes available).

huh? "get off" when talking about scheduling and CPU implies you are
not running.
It is a common term to imply that you are not running -- doesn't mean
it goes away from main memory. Sorry where did you learn your CS
concepts?

> >> As a concept that's attractive, but it's easy to demonstrate that (for
> >> example) two machines will get much better throughput using the
> >> TCP-based FTP to transfer a large file than they do with the UDP-based
> >> TFTP. This is because the latter protocol requires the sending unit to
> >> stop and wait for an acknowledgment for each block transferred. With
> >> FTP, if you use a large enough TCP sliding window and have enough
> >> content, you can saturate a link as ling as its bandwidth isn't greater
> >> than your output rate.
>
> >> This isn't a guess ...
>
> > What you say about a stop-n-wait protocol versus TCP's sliding window
> > is correct.
> > But I think it's totally orthogonal to the discussion here. The issue
> > I'm talking about is how to keep the end nodes chugging along, if they
> > are able to run simultaneously. They can't if they aren't on a multi-
> > core CPU or one different machines.
>
> If you only have one CPU then sure, you can only run one process at a
> time. But your understanding of how multiple processes on the same CPU
> interact is lacking.

huh?

> >> I'm afraid this comes across a bit like superstition. Do you have any
> >> evidence this would give superior performance?
>
> > I did some testing before when I worked on boosting a shell pipeline
> > performance and found using file-based IPC was very good.
> > (some details athttp://kar1107.blogspot.com/2006/09/unix-shell-pipeline-part-2-using....
> > )
>
> > Thanks,
> > Karthik

> If you get better performance by writing files and reading them instead
> of using pipes to communicate then something is wrong.

Why don't you provide a better explanation for the observed behavior
than to just claim that a given explanation is wrong? I did mention
using real shared memory is better. I do know the cost of using a file
("physical disk movements") - but with the amount of buffering that
goes on today's file-system implementations, for this problem, we will
see big improvement.

Karthik