profiling a C++ python extension

rasmus matt.rasmus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 20:21:12 EDT 2007

I have used gprof to profile stand alone C++ programs.  I am also
aware of pure python profilers.  However, is there a way to get
profile information on my C++ functions when they are compiled in a
shared library (python extension module) and called from python.  From
what I can tell, gmon.out will not be generated unless the entire
executable (python interpreter) was compiled with -pg.  Is my only
solution to recompile the python interpreter with -pg so that my
extension module (also compiled with -pg) produces a gmon.out?

Any suggestions or tips would be helpful.

Matt