Any reason why cStringIO in 2.5 behaves different from 2.4?

Stefan Scholl stesch at no-spoon.de
Thu Jul 26 13:45:07 EDT 2007

Stefan Behnel <stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de> wrote:
> Stefan Scholl wrote:
>> Stefan Behnel <stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de> wrote:

>>> The XML is *not* well-formed if you pass Python unicode instead of a byte
>>> encoded string. Read the XML spec.
>>>
>>> It would be well-formed if you added the proper XML declaration, but that is
>>> system specific (UCS-4 or UTF-16, BE or LE). So don't even try.
>>
>> Who cares? I'm not calling any external tools.
>
> XML cares. If you want to work with something that is not XML, do not expect
> XML tools to help you do it. XML tools work with XML, and there is a spec that
> says what XML is. Your string is not XML.

This isn't some sophisticated XML tool that tells me the string
is wrong. It's a changed behavior of cStringIO that throws an
exception. While I'm just using the method parseString() of
xml.sax.

We both repeat ourselves. I don't think this thread brings
something new.

I'm all for correct XML and hate XML bozos. But there are limits
you have to learn after a few years.