running a Delphi part from Python ?

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:23:58 EDT 2007

On 7/16/07, Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl> wrote:
> tool69 wrote:
> > Stef Mientki a écrit :
> >
> >> AFAIK, Scintilla is a code editor.
> >> What I need looks more like ms-word,
> >> handling lists, tables, images, formulas.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> Stef Mientki
> >

> > So you'll need the RichTextCtrl
> >
> > http://www.wxpython.org/docs/api/wx.richtext.RichTextCtrl-class.html
> >
> > See a sample in the demo under "Recent Additions".
>
> Well it's better,
> - it has lists
> - it has images, but no image editing,
> It doesn't have
> - drag & drop
> - tables,
> - formula editing,
> - screen capture,
> - links
> - embedded code
> - CSS
> - ....
> so unfortunately it's not yet sufficient :-(

This goes far beyond the requirement for a rich text editor. You're
now talking about rich object integration, which is about 80% of a
full featured word processor. You won't find a cross platform
implementation that's suitable for use as a component in anything.

Delphi components are tightly tied to the Delphi runtime environment
and its' gui abstractions, so embedding it as is is will be a massive
hack (and require extensive C code) if its even possible.

However, any company who writes such a full featured control is likely
to package it as an ActiveX control so they can get the sales from the
VB guys, and you can embed ActiveX control in wxPython applications
(Windows only, of course).