Process Control Help

Azazello tylerca at jeld-wen.com
Mon Jul 30 11:07:52 EDT 2007

On Jul 28, 1:40 am, "Hendrik van Rooyen" <m... at microcorp.co.za> wrote:
>  <tyle... at jeld-wen.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm attempting to start some process control using Python.  I've have
> > quite a bit of literature on networking, and have made some tinkering
> > servers and clients for different protocols HTTP, FTP, etc... But now
> > it's time for the murky web of industrial protocol.  I'm looking to
> > start with IO and servo controls via  Ethernet.
>
> > Questions:
>
> > Is there an existing forum on this already?
> > What protocols are the most python friendly? i.e. are transparent
> > enough that i can create my own python driver. (or do these drivers
> > exist?)
> > What ethernet accesible servo and IO industrial devices have people
> > had success with?
>
> What is it that you are trying to do?
> Some of the commercial devices come with their own software, and
> you may not need python or anything else.
> A lot of the industrial connectivity is still RS-485 or RS-422 and not
> Ethernet based - although some of the protocols, have, I think, been ported.
>
> If you say more, then someone can maybe help you, as there are quite a few
> people on this group who seem to dabble in process control.
>
> - Hendrik- Hide quoted text -

We're looking to run some industrial machinery from a PC.  Starting
with some basic servo controls and IO port reading for something like
an XYZ table (just X would be a good start!).  Now there is some
existing software out there for PC control but this software is, to my
understanding, largely unnecessary and "black box".  This "black box"
creates a problem when trying to e.g. control servos and IO with the
same program.  And if we want to include an HMI like a touchscreen, or
export the machinery's production into a RSS feed, the web of software
becomes messy and slow. If we could consolidate this software into a
single, non "black-box" package, we could see significant improvements
in development time. Having to program 3 different devices with three
different languages to control your PLC, Servos, and module X is the
status quo we face, but it is quite frustrating and limited.  Soo....
I need to find some ethernet friendly IO, serial would be fine but but
it's a leash in many instances.  I know some protocols have been
ported to ethernet, but I am having extreme difficulty figuring out
what these protocols entail. ModBus/TCP is the one I'd like to
choose.  I know that people have done this kind of software but it
seems that industrial python remains a bit taboo because of
proprietary issues...

Ty