running a Delphi part from Python ?

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Mon Jul 16 15:20:57 EDT 2007

Chris Mellon wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl> wrote:
>> tool69 wrote:

>> > So you'll need the RichTextCtrl
>> >
>> > http://www.wxpython.org/docs/api/wx.richtext.RichTextCtrl-class.html
>> >
>> > See a sample in the demo under "Recent Additions".
>>
>> Well it's better,
>> - it has lists
>> - it has images, but no image editing,
>> It doesn't have
>> - drag & drop
>> - tables,
>> - formula editing,
>> - screen capture,
>> - links
>> - embedded code
>> - CSS
>> - ....
>> so unfortunately it's not yet sufficient :-(
>>

> This goes far beyond the requirement for a rich text editor. You're
> now talking about rich object integration, which is about 80% of a
> full featured word processor.
The features I describe, are just 1% of the (in-)capabilities of ms-word,
so what do you call ms-word ;-)

  You won't find a cross platform
> implementation that's suitable for use as a component in anything.
>
> Delphi components are tightly tied to the Delphi runtime environment
> and its' gui abstractions, so embedding it as is is will be a massive
> hack (and require extensive C code) if its even possible.
The editor I've in mind communicates only through messages, about 20 to the editor and 5 back,
so that doesn't sound too much.

> However, any company who writes such a full featured control is likely
> to package it as an ActiveX control so they can get the sales from the
> VB guys, and you can embed ActiveX control in wxPython applications
> (Windows only, of course).
Very good idea,
although I've never done it,
according to the decriptions,
it should be just one press on a button to create an ActiveX of the Editor-component.

thanks,
Stef Mientki