Installing mod_python on mac os 10.4.7

7stud bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 17:26:53 EDT 2007

On Jul 14, 8:34 pm, Graham Dumpleton <Graham.Dumple... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jul 15, 10:06 am, Graham Dumpleton <Graham.Dumple... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 15, 2:47 am, 7stud <bbxx789_0... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Themod_pythonmanual says this under section 2.1 Prerequisites:
>
> > > ------
> > > In order to compilemod_pythonyou will need to have the include files
> > > for both Apache and Python, as well as the Python library installed on
> > > your system. If you installed Python and Apache from source, then you
> > > already have everything needed. However, if you are using prepackaged
> > > software (e.g. Red Hat Linux RPM, Debian, or Solaris packages from
> > > sunsite, etc) then chances are, you have just the binaries and not the
> > > sources on your system. Often, the Apache and Python include files and
> > > libraries necessary to compilemod_pythonare part of separate
> > > ``development'' package. If you are not sure whether you have all the
> > > necessary files, either compile and install Python and Apache from
> > > source, or refer to the documentation for your system on how to get
> > > the development packages.
> > > -----
>
> > > I installed Apache from source using these instructions:
>
> > >http://switch.richard5.net/isp-in-a-box-v2/installing-apache-on-mac-o...
>
> > > but I used a package to install python 2.4.  The package was from
> > > here:
>
> > >http://www.pythonmac.org/packages/
>
> > > and it's a "Universal binary version of Python that runs natively on
> > > PPC and Intel systems."
>
> > > But my mac came with Python 2.3.5 pre-installed, so I wonder if I
> > > already have the necessary "include files for both Apache and Python,
> > > as well as the Python library" already installed.
>
> > Have you actually tried to installmod_python? That would be the
> > quickest way of finding out.
>
> > Because you are using an alternate Apache than the OS supplied one,
> > you will need to use the --with-apxs option to configure when building
> > Python.
>
> Whoops, --with-apxs option is to configure formod_python, not Python.
>
> > Unless you really need Python 2.4, it is easier to use the OS
> > supplied version of Python. If you must use an alternate version, use
> > the --with-python option to configure formod_pythonto tell it which
> > version. Depending on where that Python version is installed, you may
> > also have to fiddle the Apache 'envvars' file as well to get it to
> > work.
>
> > Graham

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  Sorry, I didn't respond in a timely manner.

I thought I would give your suggestion a shot and just try installing
mod_python and see what happens, so I installed mod_python 3.3.1 with
this command:

$ ./configure --with-apxs=/Library/Apache2/bin/apxs

Here is the output:

--------
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ar... ar
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking your blood pressure... a bit high, but we can proceed
configure: checking whether apxs is available...
checking for --with-apxs... /Library/Apache2/bin/apxs executable, good
checking Apache version... 2.2.4
checking for Apache libexec directory... /Library/Apache2/modules
checking for Apache include directory... -I/Library/Apache2/include
checking for --with-python... no
checking for python... /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
Current/bin/python
checking Python version... 2.4
checking Python install prefix... /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.4
checking checking where python libraries are installed... /Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4
checking what libraries Python was linked with... -framework
Python    -ldl
checking linker flags used to link Python...
checking where Python include files are... -I/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4
checking for --with-python-src... no
checking for --with-mutex-dir... no
Using MUTEX_DIR /tmp
checking for --with-max-locks... no
Using 8 MAX_LOCKS.
checking for --with-flex... no
checking for flex... /usr/bin/flex
found /usr/bin/flex, we'll use this. Use --with-flex to specify
another.
checking flex version... configure: WARNING: Flex version 2.5.4 found.
    Version 2.5.31 or greater is required.  You can generally ignore
this
    warning unless you need to regenerate psp_parser.c from
psp_parse.l.
    If you do need regenerate psp_parser.c, use --with-flex to specify
the
    location of the correct flex version. See the README for more
information.
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating Doc/Makefile
config.status: creating src/include/mod_python.h
config.status: creating test/Makefile
config.status: creating test/testconf.py
config.status: creating dist/setup.py
config.status: creating dist/Makefile
-----

So it looks like it installed fine--although I notice it picked up
python 2.4 and you said it was easier to install mod_python using the
pre-installed python 2.3.3.

Then I tried to test the installation following the test in the
mod_python manual, which says to add the following to Apache's
http.conf file:

<Directory /some/directory/htdocs/test>
    AddHandler mod_python .py
    PythonHandler mptest
    PythonDebug On
</Directory>

I did that, but when I started Apache, I got this error:

---
Syntax error on line 474 of /Library/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'PythonHandler', perhaps misspelled or defined by a
---

Any ideas what went wrong?

Thanks