Iteration over strings

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 21:33:57 EDT 2007

On 7/31/07, Jay Loden <python at jayloden.com> wrote:
> This isn't just a problem with the socket module, so please don't think I'm picking on it or singling it out, it's something I've seen a number of places. e.g. from os.stat:

You picked out two specific examples as being bad, so I thought I'd go
take a look at them.  They don't seem nearly as bad as you make them
sound.

The online docs for os.stat
(http://docs.python.org/lib/os-file-dir.html) seem pretty complete,
including examples.

The docs for the socket module
(http://docs.python.org/lib/module-socket.html) are fairly large too.
I mean, the traditional socket textbook is still 'Unix Network
Programming, Vol. 1', which weighs in at over a thousand pages, so I'm
sure more could be said in the docs, but I'm not sure exactly how
much. It does point you to the platform specific docs as useful
resources for platform specific behavior, but that seems reasonable
too, especially considering that it lays out exactly which docs you
might want to look at.  I haven't tried to implement anything using
these docs, so I don't know

I'm not saying that the docs couldn't use improvement, I'm sure more
details and more examples are always welcome.  Still, these particular
bits just don't seem that bad.

--
Jerry