Pythonic way for missing dict keys

Fri Jul 20 15:39:45 EDT 2007

Neil Cerutti <horpner at yahoo.com> wrote in
news:slrnfa2325.n4.horpner at FIAD06.norwich.edu:

>> Hi all!
>>
>> I am pretty sure this has been asked a couple of times, but I
>> don't seem to find it on the archives (Google seems to have a
>> couple of problems lately).
>>
>> I am wondering what is the most pythonic way of dealing with missing
>> keys and default values.
>>
>> According to my readings one can take the following approaches:
>
> There's also the popular collections.defaultdict.
>
> Usually, the get method of normal dicts is what I want. I use a
> defaultdict only when the implicit addition to the dictionary of
> defaulted elements is what I really want.

This looks like the closest to my needs, but in my case the default value
involves the creation of a custom object instance that is taking parameters
from the current execution context, so I am not very sure I can use it.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.