Expandable 2D Dictionaries?

Tommy Nordgren tommy.nordgren at comhem.se
Fri Jul 6 12:30:53 EDT 2007

On 6 jul 2007, at 17.43, Robert Dailey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in creating an expandable (dynamic) 2D dictionary. For
> example:
>
> myvar["cat"]["paw"] = "Some String"
>
> The above example assumes "myvar" is declared. In order for this to
> work, I have to know ahead of time the contents of the dictionary. For
> the above to work, my declaration must look like:
>
> myvar = {"cat": {"paw":""} }
>
> I would like to not have to declare my dictionary like this, as it
> does not allow it to be expandable. I'm very new to Python (I'm a
> professional C++ programmer. Any comparisons to C++ would help me
> understand concepts).
>
> Is there a way that when I index into my dictionary using an "unknown"
> index (string), that python will dynamically add that key/value pair?
>
> Thanks.

	The best way to do this, is probably to implement your own class. As
far as I
know, Python supports operator overloads, although the syntax is
different than C++.
------
What is a woman that you forsake her, and the hearth fire and the
home acre,
to go with the old grey Widow Maker.  --Kipling, harp song of the
Dane women
Tommy Nordgren
tommy.nordgren at comhem.se