accessing an object instance by only having one of its attribute values

Stargaming stargaming at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 15:02:46 EDT 2007

feli.hp at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Imaybe someone can help me with this question.
> Is there a direct way of accessing an object instance, if all I know
> is the value of one of its attributes?
> The object is part of a list of objects, and I would like to pick the
> object directly by using this attribute value, instead of going
> through the list and checking if each objects attribute value is the
> one I am looking for.
>
> Thank you in advance

Okay, imagine you got a bunch of small packets (presents or something
similiar). You want to get rid of the lightest one. You cannot see
weights, so, what you're doing is basically measuring the weight of
*every single packet*, compare and pick. No way around.

There might be some ways not having to touch *each* object, if you
precompute some results. So, in the example above, you could divide the
packets into two categories, "more than 50 lbs" and "less than 50 lbs",
for example. I think binary trees might be interesting here but touching
every object would be way easier.

HTH,
Stargaming