wxPython and threads

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Thu Jul 19 14:30:04 EDT 2007

Josiah Carlson <josiah.carlson at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>  Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> > I'd dispute that.  If you are communicating between threads use a
> > Queue and you will save yourself thread heartache.  Queue has a non
> > blocking read interface Queue.get_nowait().
>
>  If you have one producer and one consumer, and the consumer will be
>  notified when there is an item available, AND deques (in Python 2.4,
>  2.5, and presumably later) are threadsafe, then the *additional*
>  locking, blocking, etc., that a Queue provides isn't necessary.
>
>  Whether one wants to use a Queue for 'piece of mind', or for future
>  expansion possibilities is another discussion entirely, but his
>  application (as stated) will work with a deque for the worker thread ->
>  GUI thread communication path.

You are right deque's do say they are thread safe - I didn't know
that.  From the docs :-

  Deques support thread-safe, memory efficient appends and pops from
  either side of the deque with approximately the same O(1) performance
  in either direction.

I think I'd go for the peace of mind option, but YMMV of course ;-)