Can a low-level programmer learn OOP?

Chris Carlen crcarleRemoveThis at BOGUSsandia.gov
Fri Jul 13 16:39:09 EDT 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Chris Carlen a écrit :
 >[edit]
>>  Must possibly learn a completely new way of thinking (OOP)
>
> Not necessarly. While Python is OO all the way down - meaning that
> everything you'll work with will be an object (functions included) -, it
> doesn't *force* you into OO (IOW : you don't have to define classes to
> write a Python program). You can as well use a procedural - or even
> somewhat functional - approach, and most Python programs I've seen so
> far are usually a mix of the three.
>
>> not just a new language syntax.
>
> You forgot one of the most important part of a language : idioms. And
> it's definitively *not* idiomatic in Python to use classes when a
> simpler solution (using plain functions and modules) is enough.

I see.  That's very promising.  I guess some articles I read painted a
picture of religiousity among OOP programmers.  But that is not the
impression I am getting at all on the street.

> IMHO, the biggest gain (in learning Python vs LabVIEW) is that you'll
> add a very valuable tool to your toolbox - the missing link between C
> and shell scripts.

Thanks for the comments!

--
Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser&Electronics Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis at BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and
"BOGUS" from email address to reply.