wxPython, searching, and threads

Benjamin musiccomposition at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 12:38:38 EDT 2007

Hello! I am writing a search engine with wxPython as the GUI. As the
search thread returns items, it adds them to a Queue which is picked
up by the main GUI thread calling itself recursively with
wx.CallAfter. These are then added to a ListCtrl. This works fine for
small searches, but with larger and longer searchs the GUI is clogged
and won't respond. I suspect (I may be wrong) that there are so many
results being sent to the ListCtrl that the event loop doesn't have
time to respond to events. I've tried buffering the results before
sending them to the GIU, but that doesn't help at all. Please advise.