PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 11 19:09:02 EDT 2007

In article <mailman.457.1183941294.22759.python-list at python.org>,
 Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> Paul Rubin wrote:
> > Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> writes:
> >> As far as I can see, the only difference is that the list comp variable
> >> isn't explicitly created with a statement of the form "name = value". Why
> >> is that a problem?
> >
> > I don't know that listcomp vars are worse problem than other vars;
> > however there is an easy workaround for the listcomp vars so I use it.
> > If there was a way to restrict the scope of other local vars (I gave
> > examples from other languages of how this can be done), I'd use that too.

Someday we will look at "variables" like we look at goto.

> Maybe we just have different styles, and I naturally tend to write in
> smaller scopes than you do.

I've wondered if programmers might differ a lot in how much they
dread errors, or how they react to different kinds of errors.
For example, do you feel a pang of remorse when your program
dies with a traceback - I mean, what a horrible way to die?
Do you resent the compiler's reprimands about your code errors,
or nagging about warnings?  Maybe the language implementation's
job has as much to do with working around our feelings as anything
else.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu