Reversing a string

Martin Durkin nospam at williamsdurkin.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 00:38:17 EDT 2007

aleax at mac.com (Alex Martelli) wrote in
news:1i0kjpx.wjw44j15np22dN%aleax at mac.com:

>> > I think all you are missing is familarity with Python, but I too
>> > don't like one-liners simply for their own sake.
>>
>> I guess that's it. The first one reads more like a textbook example
>> which is about where I am at. Is there any speed benefit from the one
>> liner?
>
> The first example reads "excruciatingly low-level" to me: its autor is
> thinking in terms of what the machine is doing, mapped into pretty
> elementary low-level constructs.

sorry you've lost me there.

> So, something like:
>
> for c in reversed(x): print c
>
> is mostly likely how I'd present the solution to the task.

This is an interesting point to me. I am just learning Python and I
wonder how I would know that a built in function already exists?
At what point do I stop searching for a ready made solution to a
particular problem and start programming my own function?
Is it just a matter of reading *all* the documentation before I start
coding?