Python MAPI

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 13:57:09 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've been googling all over and can't find any good answers about this
problem. I would like to create some kind of MAPI interface with
Python such that when I open Microsoft Word (or another Office
program) and click File, Send To, Mail Recipient it opens a program I
wrote in Python and uses it to send the email rather than Outlook.

The closest I've come is finding the registry key HKLM\Software\Clients
\Mail which seems to control the default email client. I did figure
out how to redirect mailto directives on websites to my program
successfully, but this is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Any suggestions are welcome. I am considering writing some VBA hooks
in Office Apps in question, but would prefer to avoid that.

Thanks!

Mike

P.S. Currently using Python 2.4, wxPython 2.8.3 (for GUI) on Windows
XP Pro.