[OT] Google message munging (was: Live editing...)

Paul Rubin http
Tue Jul 31 23:38:52 EDT 2007

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > [... more lines of broken line wrapping...]
> What the blazes is Google doing with messages that such a high
> proportion of them come through in this painful-to-read double-wrapped
> format? I'm referring to the fact that the lines appear to have been
> wrapped at one length, and then each line broken again into a long and
> a short line.

Users write in a text editor formatting the text into lines of
reasonable size, separated by newline characters.  They then paste the
text into a web form, which reformats it with slightly shorter lines
(breaking up the user's longer lines) but leaves the user's newlines
in place.