Probably simple syntax error

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Mon Jul 2 01:01:46 EDT 2007

Dustin MacDonald wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> This is my first time posting to this newsgroup, and although I
> maintain my netiquette I might've missed something specific to the
> newsgroup, so hopefully you can avoid flaming me if I have :) I
> apologize for the length of this post but I figure the more
> information the better.
>
> My problem is that I'm getting a syntax error in some Python code that
> looks quite simple. The original code was in Object Pascal as I'm a
> recent Delphi-turned-Python programmer.
>
> I took the code (which is only about 130 lines in OP) and 'translated'
> it the best I could into Python (ended up being one line shy of 80
> when I was done). I can't see any problems with the code but it's
> coming up with a bunch of errors, which I'm guessing are probably my
> assuming something is the same in Python as it is in Pascal, and being
> wrong.
>
> Anyway, here's the code I'm having trouble with (the same error comes
> up several times but this is the first part of the code it shows up
> in):
>
> [code]
> randomizing_counter = 0
> # Put the loop counter for the randomizing to zero.
> until_val = 36
> # Set the "until val" to 36. We'll compare them to make sure we're not
> at the end of our wordlist_both.
>
> while randomizing_counter < until_val:
> 	big_randomized_int = RandRange(0,100)
> 	# Make a random value and store it.
> 	small_randomized_int = big_randomized_int / 100
> 	# Divide that random value and store it in a different variable.
> 	small_randomized_int = Round(small_randomized_int, 2)
> 	# Round that value to 2 decimal places
> 	**weights_array(randomizing_counter) = small_randomized_int

If  weights_array is a list or dictionary then use
    weights_array[randomizing_counter] = ...
to choose which element of the list gets the assignment.

If weights_array is a function, then
    weights_array(randomizing_counter)
is the proper way to call the function, but the value returned cannot be
the object of an assignment.

Gary Herron