Proposal: s1.intersects(s2)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Jul 4 20:32:54 EDT 2007

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> The problem comes if we (perhaps naively) try to say that if a set A is a
> subset of set B, set A must intersect with B. (Not all intersecting sets
> are subsets, but all subsets are intersecting sets.) Unfortunately that is
> not the same as asking if the intersection between two sets is not empty:

Well, sure.  If you're dealing with empty sets, then you should know
what you're getting yourself into if you're asking about set
intersections.  If you don't, then an .intersects method isn't going to
help you out of your conundrum of not understanding how the null set
relates to intersections.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   Perfect girl / She was never me
    -- Lamya